Thursday, October 1, 2009

HAPPY OCTOBER!!

WOW!! Can you believe it? It is already October. Fall is definitely here. The leaves are changing and pumpkins and fall decor is starting to emerge on front porches. I have to admit that Fall is my most favorite time of year but I LOVE October. Maybe partly b/c yours truly has a birthday this month but also b/c it's a time when you break out decorations and warmer clothes. I also love the comfort foods that Fall brings too. Speaking of..I just enjoyed a nice bowl of beef stew that I made on this cold, wet night. It was so good!
Fall and especially October makes me think of when I was younger too. I think another reason is because my Mother went all out on Fall/Halloween decor. She always loved to decorate for any occasion(even the 4th..hey, she is pretty hardcore) but I think she went all out for Halloween because it was "my" month. I can remember all the pumpkins and witches she would put up but my most favorite decoration of all was Glenda the witch. She was a large stuffed witch(a happy nice witch) on a broom that she would place over the fire place. For some reason I was obsessed with this witch. I would always get so excited when Mother would get her out of the trunk she lived in for 11 months out of the year. To me she was a sign that Halloween was coming and I was happy to have her watch over us for the next 31 days. I was always sad to see her go back in that trunk. Looking back it is kind of a cheesy witch compared to all the beautiful decor that has evolved since then but I still cherish that witch and plan on getting it from her so I can use Glenda in my Halloween decor so this little one can enjoy something it's Mommy so loved. It so funny the things we remember from our childhood. I also remember this tiny candle..when I say tiny I mean tiny! I t was maybe the size of a large gumball from a vending machine. It was in the shape of a pumpkin and it had a ghost that came out of it. The thinking I most loved about it was that it smelled so good to me and you could take the ghost out and put it back in. Over the years I am sure it became a huge mess with all of the playing and handling that I did with it but it was a fun thing that I remember and loved just as much as Glenda. I cannot wait to share and create fun holiday memories like this with baby H. Since I am due in March maybe Easter will be it's "special" holiday/decor month. ;)
I will leave you with my most favorite decoration I just got this year. I have been begging to have this pumpkin made for 2 years..ever since I have been in Fargo. Luckily, the lady that does them decided she was tired of my begging so she agreed to make me one(they really don't do them for individuals) and I love it! I love it so much that I talked her into doing more for me and Paper Treats. So if you want one let me know. It is a realistic fake pumpkin and she can do anything on them but you know I had to do our name! It looks so cute with an LED light in it at night! It truly looks real..night or day it is hard to tell it's fake. I love that I can reuse it every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment